ℵ The Athanasian Creed Ω
- Whosoever will be saved: before all things it is necessary that he hold the Uniting Faith:
- Which Faith except every one do keep whole and undefiled: without doubt he shall perish everlastingly.
The Unity of Trinity in Essences or Substance
- And The Uniting Faith is this:
That we worship one YHWH God in Trinity, and Trinity in Unity;
- Neither confounding the Persons: nor dividing the Substance.
- For there is one Person of the Father: another of the Son:
and another of the Holy Spirit.
- But the Godhead of the Father, of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, is all ONE:
the Glory equal, the Majesty coeternal.
Nature of the ONE LORD GOD YHWH
Uncreated, Eternal & Infinite
- Such as the Father is: such is the Son: and such is the Holy Spirit.
- The Father uncreated: the Son uncreated: and the Holy Spirit uncreated.
- The Father infinite: the Son infinite: and the Holy Spirit infinite.
- The Father eternal: the Son eternal: and the Holy Spirit eternal.
- And yet they are not three eternals: but one eternal.
- As also there are not three uncreated:
nor three infinites, but one uncreated: and one infinite.
- So likewise the Father is Almighty: the Son Almighty:
and the Holy Spirit Almighty.
- And yet they are not three Almighties: but one Almighty.
- So the Father is God: the Son is God:
and the Holy Spirit is God.
- And yet they are not three Gods: but one God.
- So likewise the Father is LORD: the Son LORD and the Holy Spirit LORD.
- And yet not three LORD YHWHs: but ONE YHWH.
Christian Truth forbids the worship of three gods
- For like as we are compelled by the Christian verity: to acknowledge every Person by himself to be God and LORD:
- So are we forbidden by the Uniting Faith: to say,
“There be three Gods, or three Lords.”
- The Father is made of none: neither created, nor begotten.
- The Son is of the Father alone: not made, nor created: but begotten.
- The Holy Spirit is of the Father and of the Son:
neither made, nor created, nor begotten: but proceeding.
- So there is one Father, not three Fathers: one Son, not three Sons: one Holy Spirit, not three Holy Spirits.
- And in this Trinity none is afore, or after another:
none is greater, or less than another.
- But the whole three Persons are coeternal, and coequal.
- So that in all things, as aforesaid: the Unity is in Trinity,
and the Trinity is in Unity, to be worshiped.
- He therefore that will be saved, must thus think of the Trinity.
Of the Incarnation of Christ
- Furthermore it is necessary in everlasting salvation:
that one also believe faithfully
the Incarnation of our Lord Jesus Christ.
- For the right Faith is, that we believe and confess:
that our Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God, is God and Man;
- God, of the Substance of the Father; begotten before the worlds: and Man, of the Substance of his Mother, born in the world.
- Perfect God: and perfect Man,
of a reasonable soul and human flesh subsisting.
- Equal to the Father, as touching his Godhead:
and inferior to the Father as touching his Manhood.
- Who although he be God and Man;
yet he is not two, but one Christ.
- One; not by conversion of the Godhead into flesh:
but by taking of the Manhood into God.
- One altogether; not by confusion of Substance :
but by unity of Person.
- For as the reasonable soul and flesh is one man:
so God and Man is one Christ;
- Who suffered for our salvation:
descended into hell rose again the third day from the dead.
- He ascended into heaven,
he sitteth on the right hand of the Father God Almighty.
- From whence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead.
- At whose coming all men shall rise again with their bodies;
- And shall give account for their own works.
- And they that have done good shall go into life everlasting: and they that have done evil, into everlasting fire.
- This is the Uniting Faith