ReNEWed COVENANT Ministry
SABBATH BIBLE STUDY
Subscribe to RNCM Podcast Feed
iTunes • Other
MP3 AUDIO MESSAGE DOWN LOAD-Listen any time!
Page for Streaming Message – You can follow along with study notes below!
These Study notes below are Interactive with E-Sword! – FREE DOWN LOAD HERE
THEN: Just cut and past into you E-Sword topic notes
Compiled by JS LOWTHER
Why The Law?
To Teach the Kingdom
(final message of the series)
Deu_4:1 Now therefore hearken, O Israel, unto the statutes and unto the judgments, which I teach you, for to do them, that ye may live, and go in and possess the land which the LORD God of your fathers giveth you.
Deu 4:2 Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you.
Deu 4:3 Your eyes have seen what the LORD did because of Baalpeor: for all the men that followed Baalpeor, the LORD thy God hath destroyed them from among you.
Deu 4:4 But ye that did cleave unto the LORD your God are alive every one of you this day.
Deu 4:5 Behold, I have taught you statutes and judgments, even as the LORD my God commanded me, that ye should do so in the land whither ye go to possess it.
Deu 4:6 Keep therefore and do them; for this is your wisdom and your understanding in the sight of the nations, which shall hear all these statutes, and say, Surely this great nation is a wise and understanding people.
Deu 4:7 For what nation is there so great, who hath God so nigh unto them, as the LORD our God is in all things that we call upon him for?
Deu 4:8 And what nation is there so great, that hath statutes and judgments so righteous as all this law, which I set before you this day?
Deu 4:9 Only take heed to thyself, and keep thy soul diligently, lest thou forget the things which thine eyes have seen, and lest they depart from thy heart all the days of thy life: but teach them thy sons, and thy sons’ sons;
A Review the subject of “Why the Law?” ending with the importance of the Law in the Christian Faith, and how without the Law Christianity can never be a complete, holistic or viable faith on any level. Not only is Christianity without the Law of God contradictory in the sense that the bed rock foundation of biblical Christianity is the incarnation of Jesus Christ, the Son of God who was very literally and in fact the begotten Word of YHWH God the Father, the Word which the Father breathed by the Holy Spirit, and that Word was made flesh in the son of man Jesus Christ born of the virgin Mary, in fact the very essence of what we read last week in Gal_4:4-5 “… God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law, To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons. ”
To remove the law from the Word of God which we believe is the essence of our Lord Jesus Christ is a blatant error which has no other possibilities but to deteriorate and change the fabric of the Christian Faith, a fabric that is intended to lead us further into our faith, to look more like Christ, to life as holier life in him, to do that which is acceptable and pleasing to Him and not vexing and contradictory to him on the personal or individual level, but building up to the family level and the national level that the Church might be established on Christ the Rock.
So importantly in Galatians 3 & 4 we see the progression of the argument Paul lays:
1. Gal_3:2-5: How does a believer Received the Spirit ? by the works of the law or by the hearing of faith? the answer is given in the example of Abraham, how he ” believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.”
2. Gal_3:3 It is foolish to having begun in the Spirit and think you can be made perfect by the flesh? Thus all of our conversion, faith and belief given by the free gift of Grace is in the Spiritual reality, and from that Justification, as Abraham in Gen_15:6 ” believed in YHWH, and YHWH counted it to him for righteousness. ” We must recognize this as a Spiritual reality, that the work done to a believer is done in the Spirit and on the spiritual level, and it is for this cause we must exclude our own fleshly works even the thoughts of our own ability to do a righteous thing to be made perfect, a proud thought that regardless of what act of obedience you fathom fails to reach the Spirit which had to been revived in the hearing of Faith.
3.Gal_3:7-9 : We know therefore that they which are of this spiritual faith, the same are the children of Abraham. The Hearing of Faith come from the Scriptures, that for saw and saw that God would justify (make righteous) Abraham’s Nation of promise, through faith, preached, this was nothing less than the gospel given unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed. And so we know that God’s promise are sure, So then they which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham.
4. Gal_3:10-13 Points 1 – 3 are necessary for the promise of God to be sure, because the Law of God itself brings a curse for disobedience. No mane can be justified or made righteous by God’s holy Law and the evidence in the scripture themselves, witnessed by the law and the prophets: The just shall live by faith. And the law itself is not made of faith, rather it’s aspects of obedience is made of life in the flesh, what we do judge as right or wrong as 3:12 points out, “the Law is not of Faith but the man that doeth them shall live in them”.
5. Gal_3:14-19 And so the ground is entirely laid for the Reason why Faith starts in the Spirit according to the promise of God made to Abraham, just like the example of Abraham believing in God and it was counted for righteousness, to show the pattern for justification- infect the Gospel preached in this perfection which comes by the hearing of Faith and the free gift released for Abraham and his children to hear that Good News, that Gospel.
This pattern holds the key of how the son’s of Abraham who are members of this Nation can break the curse they are under by the Law and the punishment Israel (Abraham’s great nation of promise ) was and is punished by under the terms of the Law, it is by this promise which precedes every term of Law as found in the organic principle of the Law of Faith, and that assurance Abraham’s seed always has available to those who can hear the terms of the promise to the Spirit, the enduring and living Covenant in the word of Faith, by which the Gospel supersedes all works, and thus all law even God’s own Law enumerated and added to check death caused by transgression 430 years after the promise was spoken to Abraham.
Simply said, If the inheritance comes by the law, it no longer comes by promise; but God gave it to Abraham by a promise.
6. Gal_3:20-26 : God who Spoke the Law is one and God who gave the Law is one and there is no disunity in the God head which in fact works perfectly together in both giving Faith counted as righteousness and the Law of God, both come by Hearing the Word of God, neither are against the other, but rather both are in need of being understood in the proper order God assigns to them in the life of a believer, a proper order designed to break the curse which comes by the Law and give the intended inheritance by Faith unto justification; as it is evident that if inheritance of the promise was given by a covenant of promise so is the inheritance of the son’s of Abraham.
The Law imprisons everything in the world under sin, we then as part of everything especially as those under the Law are enclosed by this curse of sin, then sin seen by the Law works as a teacher of children as to why we need the promise by Faith in Christ, to take of the Nations promised to Abraham and find the faithful with in that nation, disregarding the claim a Son of Abraham has in his flesh alone, for in flesh we find death, but rather the claim the true son of Abraham has is a claim to the covenant of promise by Faith just like his father Abraham.
If we have received this seed of Grace, given freely by God alone and given to bring about his own glory, then indeed we have much to be thankful for as we have received and begun in the Spirit, and we who are true will remain walking in the spirit.
7. Gal_3:27-29 : The nature of this promise leads the “Just to live by Faith”, this implies the prior verse quoted from Lev_18:5 “The one who does them shall live by them.” is lived in Faith, understanding our errors and that we have secret faults and failures by the Law, we also are assured that those failures are bridged by the Spirit of Grace and the righteousness or justification only found in Jesus Christ.
So, in fact we are reminded in verse 27 of the commanded ordinance of Baptism as commissioned by the Law of God, spoken by Christ the Law giver the very word made flesh, and that as many as obey this Law of baptism put on Christ. It is interesting that this verse like many others use the aorist tense of speech for both the words baptized /ebaptis-thete and put on / enedu-sasthe meaning he is not speaking of the time of baptism directly or the time of putting on Christ directly, but a life immersed in this understanding, not excluding water baptism but rather more over whelming to the life which is covered in it.
Furthermore, not only is what Paul is speaking of highly knowledgeable law language as seen in Greek LXX translation of Lev_8:6-10 which speaks of the Bathing of the priests, and the putting on (same word) En-eduo) of the holy garments but it concludes with the christening or anointing of the priest in v. 10, the same word we use to describe Christ, but in this high knowledge it is an overlap of law and faith, un offensive and fully acceptable to the Judean and the Helen, the bond and the free, the male and the female, all who are Christ’s, that are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.
8. Gal_4:1-7 : Speaks of the Child of who has the Faith of Christ in his Spirit, as one who has put on Christ’s anointing, that that child is not treated
any different than a servant when young, even though he will be lord of everything by the promise of his inheritance, but because his father loves him and desires to teach him how to manage his inheritance and secure it he places him under teachers and instructors to teach him life skills; a lesson or schooling from this perspective is much different than the way we as children look at education. We often do not consider that we are unskilled and unruly and in need of discipline, and so the rules of reading, writing and arithmetic, the facts of science and the knowledge of history give us discipline to know the rules of knowledge and instruction that we will use to learn even after our education guardian is finished with us, and says, “you are too old to be here” or perhaps graduates us early, regardless as an heir being trained the future of our life is in focus, and the law of God if we take heed to it as our instructor is identifying and correcting our error our sin, and the whole goal of the lesson is to bring us the Faith and even after we are no longer under the guardian of education to graduate us to faith in Christ it is still those studies and text books which posses the discipline and rule to skillfully manage the Father’s kingdom as Luk_12:32 assures us that it is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom.
And this Kingdom is made of Anointed Kings and priests who need instruction, discipline and skill in the Word of God, not just for individual life but for family life and national survival, but all of that Law cannot stand alone by natural revelation, it cannot alone cause and effect, it cannot stand alone in any element of this world or wisdom we can derive thereby, but rather it must stand by Faith Alone; Even in a Christian society where Christ is preached every week or in a lawful society where Moses is preached every week the wicked will always compass the righteous, the wicked of the large way will always outnumber the Just who live by Faith, in every age we know we are the ‘little flock’ of Luke 12:32, we know we are prone by this same verse to be fearful we will not receive the inheritance, but we are to be assured that if we are the flock of God it’s by God’s pleasure to give us this kingdom he has prepared for us to seek after, and it is by the scriptures, the Law we even know what this kingdom looks like.
This kingdom’s citizens will be marked by the Seed of Faith in Christ as the primary identifier of them, the Just living by Faith.
And it is these that have right to inherit as kings and priests of the Lord on behalf of those who are still in need of that Faith.
And so as we had looked at the National and covenantal aspect of the individual faithful, it is safe to understand how it is that the Law is established by Faith as the discipline and rule, and that the Law is by no means made void by Faith, but rather Faith is made void by Law if your heirr ship is in the law according to Rom_4:14 For if they which are of the law be heirs, faith is made void, and the promise made of none effect:
So once the Law id established by the Just living by Faith how does this Faith continue to lead us and teach us of Christ?
I think the very set of Laws, which our society is at this present time bent on breaking in every aspect they can is the best way to show this simple truth, of how it is upon the one who has truly put on Christ and is instructed in the Law and disciplined in the rules of God’s Law to teach those truth to just and unjust alike by the force which God’s word legislates for the Government, let’s go to Lev_18:3, notice how we can immediately make the connection to Egypt, the place of Israel’s captivity, with the slave or servant status and how that enslavement looks:
Lev 18:3 You shall not do as they do in the land of Egypt, where you lived, and you shall not do as they do in the land of Canaan, to which I am bringing you. You shall not walk in their statutes.
And both the captivity of the Egyptians and the abominations of the prosperous wealthy people of Canaan are opposed by YHWH GOD’s Law:
Lev 18:4 You shall follow my rules and keep my statutes and walk in them. I am the LORD your God.
Lev_18:5 You shall therefore keep my statutes and my rules; if a person does them, he shall live by them: I am the LORD.
Now listen to the exact Law’s Paul’s Gal_3:10 from Deu_27:14-26 and this specific quote from Gal_3:12 uncomfortably speak of:
Lev 18:6 “None of you shall approach any one of his close relatives to uncover nakedness. I am the LORD.
Lev 18:7 You shall not uncover the nakedness of your father, which is the nakedness of your mother; she is your mother, you shall not uncover her nakedness.
Lev 18:8 You shall not uncover the nakedness of your father’s wife, your sister, your father’s daughter or your mother’s daughter, whether brought up in the family or in another home, your son’s daughter or of your daughter’s daughter, your father’s wife’s daughter, brought up in your father’s family, since she is your sister, your father’s sister, your father’s brother, that is, you shall not approach his wife; she is your aunt; your daughter-in-law; she is your son’s wife, of your brother’s wife…
I think the point is clear this is incest
Lev 18:20 And you shall not lie sexually with your neighbor’s wife and so make yourself unclean with her.
Lev 18:21 You shall not give any of your children to offer them to Moloch, (abortion) and so profane the name of your God: I am the LORD.
Lev 18:22 You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination. (homosex)
Lev 18:23 And you shall not lie with any animal and so make yourself unclean with it, neither shall any woman give herself to an animal to lie with it: it is perversion. (bestiality)
Lev 18:24 “Do not make yourselves unclean by any of these things, for by all these the nations I am driving out before you have become unclean,
Lev 18:25 and the land became unclean, so that I punished its iniquity, and the land vomited out its inhabitants.
Lev 18:26 But you shall keep my statutes and my rules and do none of these abominations, either the native or the stranger who sojourns among you
Lev 18:27 (for the people of the land, who were before you, did all of these abominations, so that the land became unclean),
Lev 18:28 lest the land vomit you out when you make it unclean, as it vomited out the nation that was before you.
Lev 18:29 For everyone who does any of these abominations, the persons who do them shall be cut off from among their people.
Lev 18:30 So keep my charge never to practice any of these abominable customs that were practiced before you, and never to make yourselves unclean by them: I am the LORD your God.”
Listen, when you give up God’s Law no matter how you reason it, no matter where you draw the line in saying “this is still God’s Law after Jesus came and this is not”, no matter how you strike that line by your own reasoning you have crossed the line, the presumptuous line that says ‘you have the ability to Judge the Law, rather than do the law. We have no right to judge God’s holy law and word, rather we only have the ability to allow or rather accept its condemnation of us. Because the moment Mr. Christian you revile the judgment of God which is confirmed immutably as sure in the Law of God upon Mt. Sinai you open the door for bondage and secure wealth like the Egyptians and the Canaanite. And that security left to faith defined without the word of God reveling the Gospel by the Spirit of Grace through Faith assuring and confirming the promise made in Jesus right beside that Word of Faith confirming and assuring that the Law’s judgment, discipline and instruction by Faith to the just who will live by it, when you abandon the Law, the curse will take captives, the curse will secure the abominations of the Canaanite as we have just read.
No Longer will people, Just and unjust be forced by the over powering nature of God’s immutable Word to say Amen to the curse secured by the Laws violation by society as the same laws listed by Faith in Deut_27:1-26 confirm
Deu 27:26 “‘Cursed be anyone who does not confirm the words of this law by doing them.’ And all the people shall say, ‘Amen.’
And so what do we see in a society we have in the west, founded by Reformed Christians who loved the Law of God, but had a line in the sand constantly pushed back by the next generation? Deration of the law as a whole. Why? Because Children always exasperate their parents’ defects which they deny, take heed my nomian brother and sisters, our children will exploit the line we cut in the sand beyond our own exploitation of it:
The Church of our Father’s in America and Europe, the old claim of Christendom is become Egypt and Canaan and the people of which Christ came turn their land into Sodom and Egypt:
Consider these days, and what we see, even from those who without faith name the name of Christ as savior unto lawlessness, a proof by fruits that show where we are at a national level of Pro_24:16 For a just man falleth seven times, and riseth up again: but the wicked shall fall into mischief.
2 Timothy 3:1-17 but understand this, that in the last days there will come times of difficulty.
(2) For people will be lovers of self, lovers of money, proud, arrogant, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy,
(3) heartless, unappeasable, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not loving good,
(4) treacherous, reckless, swollen with conceit, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God,
(5) having the appearance of godliness, but denying its power. Avoid such people.
(6) For among them are those who creep into households and capture weak women, burdened with sins and led astray by various passions,
(7) always learning and never able to arrive at a knowledge of the truth.
(8) Just as Jannes and Jambres (the men who) opposed Moses(law giver), so these men also oppose the truth(law ), men corrupted in mind and disqualified regarding the faith. (9) But they will not get very far, for their folly will be plain to all, as was that of those two men.
Here is what those who follow Paul’s teaching, conduct, aim in life, his faith, his patience, his love, his steadfastness… The persecutions I endured; yet from them all the Lord rescued me.
(12) Indeed, all who desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted,
(13) while evil people and impostors will go on from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived.
(14) But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it
(15) and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.
(16) All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,
(17) that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.
You must be logged in to post a comment.