ARE YOU BLESSED BY RENEWED COVENANT MINISTRY?
HELP KEEP US GROWING AND GOING!
Is $1.00 per message too much from our regular listeners?
It will allow us to afford needed equipment and software to expand our Kingdom out reach and help with expenses.
SABBATH BIBLE STUDY
ReNEWed COVENANT Ministry
Subscribe to RNCM Podcast Feed
Compiled by JS LOWTHER
Answers from the Pentateuch
Adam and Marriage
1Pe_3:15-16 …Sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear: 16 Having a good conscience; that, whereas they speak evil of you, as of evildoers, they may be ashamed that falsely accuse your good conversation in Christ.
(We are going to consider the creation of Adam as we has begun to mention in last weeks discussion which was concerning the Sabbath and Time as reckoned by the lights of Heaven as per Gen 1:14-19. I would like to further mention before totally leaving the subject of the Sabbath, that it is important to remember that the Sabbath in fact by it’s Heavenly light based nature, as reckoned by the Moon’s seasons in it’s weekly phases is both intrinsic to the notice and furthered intellect of higher thinking man as the study of the heavens and it’s lights is a science we all call Astronomy, that is literally in Greek ‘star law’, as well as the now corrupted word ‘astrology’ which at one time simply meant ‘star wisdom or study’, which in the Greek sense we are speaking of the sun and moon as well as one of those ‘astrers’ of heaven as lights. So before moving into the attributes of Adam as a living creature, yet one who is specially made in the likeness and image of God / ALEYM, I’d like to tie those concepts tightly together as we hear God’s word concerning the lights in the 4th day of creation as well as the literal language of Genesis 2 tells us that that signaled season the Sabbath or Seventh day, which we as well literally number as the 7th day of the week which God himself calls calls sanctified, and as such it is endorsed from the creation as Holy Worship; Importantly the Sabbath is the first form of worship mentioned for Creation to know God’s holiness by a work which God himself takes part in.)
As we consider the Creation of Adam in this coming section consider that in speaking of Adam being made in the likeness of God: we are in reality reading about this aspect of holiness as well, which is cognizant judgment of that which is spiritual and that which is natural and the use of intellect for the purpose of Godly government first over our selves as a creation of the Spirit and and then over those things which God has given to be governed by the Image and likeness bearers of God. Perhaps some of that I did not convey enough when I spoke of the Sabbath in the last discussion last week, that particularly Godly worship as is called holy by the Word of God, that is the pre-incarnate Christ, is the only pure holiness which exists as it is the fulfillment of the love of God, as a child towards his Father in desire of resemblance: to be holy as He is holy. This is the difference in an Apologetic look at the words of Genesis in application to the holistic testimony of scripture,when we seek Answers from the word of God rather than simply looking at the creation week and the created as our lone origins, but rather that as we consider who we are where we come from and we take recignize that the word of God is…piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit…and a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. We see that God’s intentions for Adam from creation was to be holy as he was holy as well as to Worship in the beauty of holiness in the way YHWH chose fit for the son’s of Adam, among the first call to sanctification is the sanctity of the Sabbath day, especially when acknowledging it in the heavenly lights as a witness to YHWH’s power to be faithful, it is in fact as it is called throughout scripture and is implied by it’s Hebrew meaning, it is an oath of YHWH’s Faithfulness, that is His Grace towards us.(See a beautiful connection of this in Psa_89:33-37)
SO let us continue in our reading of the Pentateuch, and then I will explain some of the language as well as link it back into chapter one for clarification, as well as attempt to prove by weight of evidence from other scriptural usage of the words the reason for the offered conclusions I am offering, in reading this from the KJV I will also at junctures read the Literal Hebrew usage where of a phrase or word to help show some points to be made :
(4) These are the generations (Hb. TULDUTh / Gk. Genesis) of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that LORD GOD* (YHWH ALEIM (First use of YEhWEh as a Name) made the earth and the heavens,
(5) And every plant of the field before it was in the earth (ARTz/Erets), and every herb of the field before it grew: for YHWH God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and there was not an Adam to till the ground (האדמה / Eh’ADMEh – poetic use).
(6) But there went up a mist from the earth (ARTz), and watered the whole face of the ground (Eh’ADMEh).
(7) And YHWH God formed them, the Adam, of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul* (same as living creature).
(so in order:
1. we see that in paying attention to the text of verse 4 YHWH is used after creation to express the person of God, this is because, as we had discussed in the last messages YHWH is the third person form of ‘being’ as the personified title name; as mentioned in the last message, AHYH is the first person form of the meaning ‘I am’ thus YHWH ‘He that Is’, this is important in understanding the name of God because it both Identifies Him as Creator by virtue of his Eternal existence as well as by virtue of men calling Him by the Word and concept used in his Generative work, as when he said ‘YHY’ or ‘let there be’, all and all we have complex yet very simple Name for the Father, probobly best said YaH or JaH to represent all of this power in Ideas represented in the English words ‘was, Is, shall be’ seen very well in Rev_1:8 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.
So from here on the Name YHWH will be used in the Hebrew Bible, (LORD in Eng.) and it is infact only after the Creative use of YHY ‘let there be’.
2. YHWH in verse 5 speaks of the proposed creation of “an Adam” upon the earth and this is before it happens, as to have an association with tilling the ground or ADaMEh, the reason this is interesting is because according to the Hebrew wording here used we are able to gain a back gimps at the Dominion mandate of Gen_1:26 in verse 5, when it is noticed that the ground ( or soil as we would call it), the tillable part of the Earth, as the part which produces food, clothing and resources of all sorts is named in forethought of this living creature, Adam, who is made in the likeness and image of God, due to the purpose: …God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion… Thus, Adam is not named from the ADaMEh (soil), but rather the ADaM-Eh is named after ADaM, you can see this Just in the root value of the words. So, in Gen_1:26-27, we are told of this moment we have an exploded view of here in Gen_2:7 both speaking of the creation of Adam, first his purpose 2nd his happening, and third his mandate and charge of multiplicity, fruitfulness and dominion thereby contained in Adam’s coming union with his help meet.
The word Adam Physiognomy Term
Here is where folks get squeamish with my understanding of the creation of living souls, including the human kinds differs from most universalist and christians, and that is concerning the meaning and the usage of The word Adam in the Hebrew and Greek Bible, primarily the Hebrew, as it has a meaning of ruddy or blushing in completion in his physiognomy, a great many verses of the use of this Hebrew word exists to prove this point clearly in different applications, while some may not like to forward this biblical lexology specifying the image of those who where created and named in this instance, feel as though it is important to show the look of the people of Adam by their very name, as this is part of gaining insight into the image of who these people were named after, and that is Jesus Christ, who came in the likeness of sinful Adamic flesh, yet in our consideration of his sinless state Adam as blushing or ruddy men show a circular revealing of How both Adam man was made in the image of God in fact, as well that God was manifest in the flesh as well infact, and in that image we know that both the first and second Adam where of this Blushing or ruddy Race, easily identified with the European type in today’s terminology . The Septuagint Greek LXX uses the word “purros” equating the ruddy tone of fire in the same word, as may be seen in the Song of Solomon 5:10 in place of the Hebrew word ‘ADaM”:
Son_5:10 My beloved is white and ruddy… (To be discussed latter)
The 3 Scripture Hebrew forms of the word ADaM
Also on ths term Adam we have in the Scripture 3 forms of the word, ADaM, Eh’ADaM, Ath Eh’ADaM: ADaM is used of both the General race of ADaM, as we use the word ‘Man’ in a plural form, as well we have the Literal individual named ADaM, this is His name, he is the father of All of the men of Scripture, the first in the Genealogy of our Lord Jesus Christ on his mother’s side of course; then we have a combination of usages of The ADaM or Eh’ADaM, which references a vast group of ADaM, and then we have a specification of ATh Eh’ADAM which can best be discribed as those or they of the ADaM. While these usages are foreign to us as english readers it helps answer many questions about the Genesis of ADaM Kind upon earth, as well it is recognized in the language of the LXX as having distinctions between the Individual by name, Adam, and the anthropon/ ανθρωπον of Adam’s kind who are with him in the garden paradise of EDeN (Heb. ODN). In this way by a systematic division of the word of scripture by use of the LXX along side the Hebrew we can see where the Ancient copyists of the LXX saw the distinction and wrote it into the text. So in continuing one may see where in the text I have have made the adjustments to the KJV to supply the information from the texts to reflect what is said.
We are told about the condensation of rain distilling upon the AdaMEh / Ground and YHWH the creator forming these men from the Dust of the earth (I will discuss after the reading of the chapter further the reason for the use of these plural-ly). Yet here we are told of how the Adam are made a EhVH NePiS, that is a living creature or as the KJV and most others call us Living Souls, yet I stress yet again that in the Hebrew the words for soul is the very same as creature, it is the simplest way to refer to a Living bleeding air breathing vitality, even in this section of Scripture where many desire human elevation to be found above the beast it is not seen here in the breath of life as this same faculty is as well seen to exist in the animals as well, no, in Scripture by an exact ascertaining of it’s words the Super-Natural element which he is given is not found in these Hebrew or Greek words of holy writ, neither text offers a phrase which is alone associated with Adam alone here, rather the very opposite understanding by the honest bible reader is found as clearly laid out by the wise King Solomon:
Ecc_3:18 I said in mine heart concerning the estate of the sons of the Adam, that God might manifest them, and that they might see that they themselves are beasts.
Ecc 3:19 For that which befalleth the sons of men befalleth beasts; even one thing befalleth them: as the one dieth, so dieth the other; yea, they have all one breath; so that a man hath no preeminence above a beast: for all is vanity.
Ecc 3:20 All go unto one place; all are of the dust, and all turn to dust again.
Ecc_3:21 Who knoweth the spirit of man that goeth upward, and the spirit of the beast that goeth downward to the earth?
Ecc_3:22 Wherefore I perceive that there is nothing better, than that a man should rejoice in his own works; for that is his portion: for who shall bring him to see what shall be after him?
In this way we can see that when, as Solomon speaks of the RUcH or Spirit which is not mentioned here in this section, is said to as well be the same, and in the LXX Greek however much more connection is able to be seen in the use of the word Pneuma and it’s related words.
(8) And YHWH God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there he put them, the Adam, whom he had formed.
(9) And out of the ground made YHWH God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of knowledge of good and evil.
(15) And YHWH God took them, the Adam, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it.
(16) And YHWH God commanded Adam* (the man), saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat:
(17) But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.
*Gen 2:16, Here the LXX Greek uses Adam, seemingly, as a name, this fact is used as indication of where the individual who has the name Adam is singled out of the created race of the ruddy people (h’adam). It is important to keep focused, as Adam was created as head of the people, and it is he who was the recorded progenitor of our Lord and Savior, the light and life of men, Jesu the Christ. I wish to save the discussion of the Trees for the next weeks message, but Ill give a hint to study up on from: Rev_22:14, and that here is this situation the super-natural portion of Adam is found, in his ability to Judge between good and evil as well as His ability to be Holy in the likeness of his God, as well as his ability to create from the God given elements of the heaven and earth.)
(18) And YHWH God said, It is not good that the Adam should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.
(19) And out of the ground YHWH God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature* (same as living soul) , that was the name thereof.
(20) And Adam gave names to all cattle, and to the fowl of the air, and to every beast of the field; but for the Adam there was not found an help meet for him.
Notice that the reason for the Female Adams creation is specific to being a helper to Adam, in all senses of the word (primarily to not be alone, this of course is carried out in the general way of having a couple together, but this is not the only focus but rather in the generative sense or procreation, and multiplicity, this is a thing unattainable, in the generation of like kind, that is Adam would not produce one of his own flesh and bone his kind if he where to propagate with any other living creature, nor of course could adam propagate with an other male; so all in this few verses we see the foundation of negative law which disallow miscegenation, bestiality, and homosexuality, in the primary thoughts of God in his creation of Adam and His Kind, male and female, both as Gen 1 tells us in the day, not made male and female at the same instance but in the same day, the 6th day when YHWH God created the living creatures of the earth, of which the ADaM where.)
(21) And YHWH God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof;
(22) And the rib, which YHWH God had taken from Adam made he a woman, and brought her unto the man.
(23) And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.
Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.
And they were both naked, the man Adam* and his wife, and were not ashamed.
( 25) * the LXX uses the name Adam, while the Hebrew text references the Adam as the male or Man.
Here we see the beauty of Marriage and it’s organic and original value, so much is said hear what I will comment on will pale to it’s true impact in the holistic scripture as this organic law with Christ as the 2nd Adam and perhaps more so, accurately as the proto-Adam as pictured here with his church and bride:
Eph 5:25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
Eph 5:26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
Eph 5:27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.
Eph 5:28 So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself.
Eph 5:29 For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church:
Eph 5:30 For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.
Eph 5:31 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.
Eph 5:32 This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.
Eph 5:33 Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself; and the wife see that she reverence her husband.
As well we have en example of the sexual union being abused in harlotry when men and women commit the acts of marriage reserved for only those have a Godly union and covenant described in.
1Co_6:16 What? know ye not that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? for two, saith he, shall be one flesh.
1Co 6:17 But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit.
There is a total view of the elements of positive law in regards to marriage are in essence here to be ascertained: which I wish to cover concerning this subject in ending, Yet the gravity of this verse as the organic law of marriage is permeated throughout Scripture and nature, that infact the entirety of the Marriage relationship is here seen in the words recorded of Father ADaM’s response to YHWH giving him a help meet of his own flesh and bone, as well as where the Word speaks in telling us this is why or wherefore, because of this shall a man leave his father and mother and cleave, which literally means to pursue as an inheritance, as land fought for in a battle (Hebrew word / CaN – כןH3651 in the sense be able to stand alone. The cleaving is the word dabq-H1692-דּבק – dabaq is also translated overtaking and keeping: used frequently to refer to men over taking others in battle, in pursuit, as well as men’s connection with there inherited ancestral lands.)
So in an exploded view we have just read what was covered in Gen_1:26-30
Gen 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
Gen 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
Gen 1:28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.
Gen 1:29 And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.
Gen 1:30 And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so.
Here are some out lined points about God’s creation of The Adam which are of biblical importance:
1. The word Adam has a meaning of ruddy or blushing in complexion, specifying the image of those who where created and named in this instance he Septuagint Greek LXX uses the word “purros” equating the tone of fire in the same word, as may be seen in the Song of Solomon 5:10 in place of the Hebrew ADaM.
2. Adam is both plural and singular in it’s use, as the word “man” is used in English.
3. In the book of Genesis the Hebrew word Adam (אדם) is not always in reference to the man with that personal name, but Only when the Hebrew speaks of “Adam” where the name is absolutly indicating the man named Adam, should the context fit it is he who was the head of his kindred people “the Adam” or “the ruddy”, thus the man Adam bore the name being the arch or head in created of his kind.
4. ‘Ath h’adam’ ( את האדם ) is referring to ‘those the ADaM’ as a race of people, this wording is used throughout the bible to reference this same people. (see as an example if this Hebrew wording prefers the translation of one or many: Gen_6:1,-9, Deu_5:24, Zec_11:6)
God is specific in his wording as to tell the reader what or who he is speaking of at the time.
Gen 1:27-28 From the Hebrew logic we can certainly see the sexual union absorbed into the gender role of the Adam’s creation as”male and female”. “male” or zkar (זכר) , properly means to make a mark or be remembered; as well “female” or nqubah(נקבה), properly refers to the “sexual form” (as James Strong puts it, H5347.) and stems from the root word: nqub( נקב) -A primitive root; to puncture, literally (to perforate, with more or less violence) or figuratively (to specify, designate, libel): – appoint…with holes, name, pierce, strike through.
Due to the nature of marriage it should be well noted that the male / ZKaR is the remembered “mark maker” and the female / NQuBEh is the punctured, perforated (the one with the hole). I do not note this to be over sexual, however in our modern world this straight forward Hebraic biblical truth is unknown, and having it placed at the very creation of the adam as a defined principle for sexual conduct to be understood as having only this “heterosexual” value. As part of God’s natural creation law, this aspect of creation is one upon which proceeding laws are undisputably founded upon.
Gen 1:28-30 The Adam is given here the blessed right to be:
2. and multiply
3. and fill the earth
4. and subdue (in the sense of control in use)
5. and dominion (in the sense of bring under) of all creation: a. all living breaths b. all herbs or plants bearing seed.
This blessing is as stated a blessing and will only bless in the case of Adam maintaining their image and likeness as being from God.
In the LXX Greek translation of the Hebrew Scriptures the name Adam is specified in the text as to distinguish the individual who has the name Adam and single him out from the created race of ruddy people (h’adam).
It is important to keep focused in understanding this issue, as Adam was created as head of his people, and it is he who was the recorded progenitor of our Lord and Savior, the light and life of men, Jesu the Christ.
Below is a list where the LXX indicates the specific man Adam, while ALL other pla ces in scripture the race of ADaM (blushing people) is mentioned generally as anthrop(on) / ανθρωπ(ον)(G444).
Gen_2:16, 2:19, 2:20, 2:21, 2:22, 2:23, 2:25, 3:8, 3:9, 3:12, 3:17; 3:20, 3:21, 3:22, 3:24, 4:1, 4:25, 5:1, 5:2, 5:3, 5:4, 5:5; Deut 32:8; 1Chr 1:1; Tob 8:6; Sir 40:1, 49:16.
Using the Hebrew text in conjunction with the the Greek LXX evidence is clear for the above.